Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Bling, Bling Take II... Metallic Stains Tutorial

Goodly Morning Stampfans!  As promised I am back with another technique using Metallic Stains.  This week I have done a Step by Step tutorial for you, tis easier to show it in pics than me trying to describe everything.  Because the post is photo-heavy, I shall keep the waffling to a minimum :O))  This technique hasn't really got a name but it is very similar to the Alcohol Ink Agate so I have called it Agate Stains. Using a colour of Distress Stain and mixing it with a Metallic works brilliantly as you will see from the photo's.  Perfect for Christmas projects.



Ingredients will be listed at the bottom of the post with links to the shop. (am good like that.. you know, enabling lol)

STEP 1
I have used Pine Needles Distress Stain, it is a good strong colour to use.  Smoosh Pine Needles onto your craft sheet and then give Brushed Pewter a good shake to mix up the contents, smoosh this onto your craft sheet. Lightly mist water around the edge of the inks, this will help your tag glide through the mix.



STEP 2
Dip your tag/card through the inky mix, twisting ever so slightly *the tag not you, although you can if you fancy* to mix the colours together. Lift the tag off and look at the effects, any bare patches, go in a dip again, twist and lift.



STEP 3
Dry with a heat tool.



STEP 4
Lightly mist the tag with water, you will see the metallic is re-activated and moves about the surface.  Dry again with heat tool.



STEP 5
Use a co-ordinating Archival Ink, I have used Viridian, and stamp snowflakes, re-stamp over the top of the original image using Brushed Pewter, the Viridian will give the metallic a bit of depth.  Dry with a heat tool.



Finished Background

You can see the effects on the finished background... and when it is held up to the light you can see the agate effect sparkling gently.




Alternative Stamping

You can also just use the Metallic Stains to stamp directly onto card. Here I have used Brushed Pewter again and stamped my snowflake onto a white tag.



Finished Tag






To finish, I drew a line of Cosmic Glue around the edge of the tag, sprinkled this with Dry Rock Candy Stickles and allowed that to dry.  Because the glue dries clear, you just a very subtle sparkle. I cut a Snowflake Alterations using white card and coloured it with Evergreen Bough and Pine Needles DI.  The sentiment is a Stacked Words Alterations that I coloured with Blackk Soot DI.   I added a snowflake Adornment charm that I coloured with Snow Cap Dabber, then embossed with clear powder to make it enamelled.  I then added some more Idea-ology, including the new Festive Foliage, again given the SnowCap Dabber treatment and the leaves I then pounced with Pine Needles Stains and embossed with clear.


The Ingredients:

Tag #8
Metallic Stains
Distress Stains - Pine Needles
Distress Ink - Evergreen Bough, Black Soot, Pine Needles
Archival Ink - Viridian
Alterations: Snowflake & Stacked Words Christmas
Idea-ology
Snowcap Dabber
Rock Candy Dry Stickles

That's all from me for this week... hope you enjoyed the tut and you have a play, please do let me know if you do!  I shall be back next week with another technique using the Metallic Stains... til then... thanks for looking.... TTFN

Hels x

14 comments:

Helen said...

Gorgeous tag, I LOVE that colour.... hmmm don't think I have pine needles distress....! thanks for the step by step.

Netty said...

Beautiful effects Hels and thanks for the great tut.x

butterfly said...

Scrumptious colours and sheen! Love it...
Alison x

Elaine said...

Great tag - love the colour you've achieved on the background. Guess I now need to buy some metallic stains!!

craftimamma said...

This is so yummy Hels! Such pretty colours really enhanced by the Metallic Stain. I've had mine for a few weeks now so I'm really enjoying your tips for extra techniques but I definitely neeeeed that gorgeous Viridian Archival ink. Smashing tutorial1 Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Aquarius said...

Thanks for the tutorial - all I need now are metallic stains!!

Patricia Howarth said...

Afternoon Hels, This tag is absolutely fantastic, I just love how you blend the stains with the metallics, truly stunning, and the die-cuts and festive foliage are absolutely stunning. Love it, love it, love it.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Stamping in Pink said...

it's so gorgeous!! off to the shop to have a look at the yummy goodies! Karen x

Wendy said...

What a cool technique,good job I got some more stains in, looks like we are going to need them LOL

Thanks Hels x

Cornish Emma said...

Beautiful wintery tag and thanks for the detailed step by step on the metallic stains. Emma

Redanne said...

Gorgeous, sumptuous colours on this beautiful tag Hels. A x

rachel said...

great tute Hels - must look into getting some of the metallic stain xx

Claudine C. said...

Love the tag, it's beautiful. The colors are amazing, I really need to use this color combo on my own project!!

Anita Houston said...

More SWOONING!!! Amazing color and love that snowflake!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails