Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Bling, Bling... Metallic Stains!

Goodly Morning Stampfans and a very happy Tuesday to you all.  I can't believe that I have had the brand new Metallic Distress Stains in the Room of Stash for over a month and I have only just really had a chance to have a proper play with them.  I don't know about you but I haven't really seen much about them.. what they look like, how they can be used etc.  So, I figured that I would do a bit of a chat about them and show you a couple of different ways to use them... and of course, I had to make a nice tag to go with the other pics!  



To start off with, I shall tell you what I think about them.  You know I absolutely love all Ranger products - to me they are the best quality and whilst they aren't always the cheapest option when buying inks, they are worth every penny  because they will do the job that you want them too.  What is that old saying?  Buy cheap, buy twice?  Well, I have to agree with that one when it comes to Ranger.  Buy decent, don't need to buy again!  The Stains are a brilliant new addition to the Distress Stain range and they are chock full of bling.  They come in three colours: Tarnished Brass, Antiqued Bronze and Brushed Pewter.  You will be able to see from the photo below what they look like when simply applied to cream cardstock.  That is a single coat so you can see they give  fab coverage.  They are in the same applicator as normal Distress Stains, the only thing different is that there is a ball bearing in the bottle which will aggitate the contents to make sure the pigments and liquid suspension are mixed together properly before application.  Simply give the bottle a good shake before each use.




This picture shows how versatile they can be.  Simply applied over the top of patterned paper... because they have a translucency about them, you can still see the design.... just think of how many projects you can bling up just by dragging a Metallic Stain over some fancy paper!  Or... stamp onto card and then drag them over the top. 



As well as dragging over paper, you can also smoosh them onto a craft sheet, mist with water and then dip the paper into the mix... I did this with the paper I used to make my Pine Cones... and promptly forgot to take a photo of it before I die cut it... whoops! You can see the blingyness on this photo though.




The papers I used are the 6x6 MME Lost & Found pad, perfect vintagey Christmas tones and designs in this pad.  I covered a Size 8 tag with paper, blended Gathered Twigs on the edges, sanded them to add a bit of shabbiness and then tied some crush ribbon through the top with a few bits of Idea-ology (Listed below)  Noel was cut using the Vintage Noel Alterations die from Grungeboard.  Dabbered with Gold Dabber and dried and then liberally coated with Ranger Glue & Seal and then sprinkled with Dry Rock Candy Distress Stickles - I love this stuff.. like crushed sugar! Check out the sparkles!  The Pine Cones were cut using the Tattered Pine Cone Alterations, the sprigs were also from that.  The Branch is Grungeboard again, coloured with Gathered Twigs and the leaves are from Holly Branch Alterations, cut from paper covered with Tarnished Brass Metallic Stain and sanded to add a bit of shabbiness again.


The ingredients I used are:
Metallic Distress Stains
MME Papers
Distress Ink = Gathered Twigs
Gold Dabber
Rock Candy Dry Stickles
Grungeboard
Idea-ology: Chain Tassell, Christmas Muse Tokens, Baubles
Alterations: Tattered Pine Cone, Holly Branch, Vintage Noel
Size 8 Tag

That's all from me for this week.  Please pop back next week to see the next part of my playing with Metallics... I shall be showing you something different! Thanks for looking... TTFN

Hels x

9 comments:

Annie said...

Absolutely gorgeous tag Hels and thanks for info on metallic DS x hopefully I can have a play soon

Hugs Annie x

Julia S-W said...

Gorgeous pieces Hels! I've had mine for a while and not really got into them but this post has pushed me in the right direction so thanks for that.
Juliaxx

Patricia Howarth said...

Morning Hels, I absolutely LOVE what you have done with this tag, it is stunning, I love it. I bought the metallic Distress Stains at Kettering, so this project will be ideal for me, I have all the dies, so will be able to re-create this masterpiece of yours. I can't wait now for next week, for Part 2, THANKS TO STAMP ATTIC for asking Hels to do these projects.
Lots of love from Patricia xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Fab project Hels, loving those pine cones! Love the stains too, just perfect for Christmas projects!

Gerrina said...

Great tag! Love the pine cones in these colour! I just like the new stains, 'cause you can "pimp up" so many things in different ways! Hugs, Gerrina

Cornish Emma said...

Morning Hels, lovely tag using the metallic stains which i love, love the bling pinecones. Emma

butterfly said...

Gorgeous tag; the pinecones look fab! Love the metallic stains, thanks for lots of useful tips...
Alison x

Carol Q said...

aren't they beautiful Hels? your project looks gorgeous too. will have to investigate these!

ionabunny said...

Hi, thanks for the tips on these metallic stains. There are so many products out there that it's sometimes difficult where to invest the pennies. This post has been very enlightening.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails