Friday, 2 September 2011

Fiskars Stamp Press and a Card

Hi there

Today I have a card to share with you and a mini review of the Fiskars Stamp Press.
First up is the card..

Happy Anniversary
Here I used Authentique papers with the Prickley Pear birdcage die and stamps.  Firstly I used two different patterned papers from the pad and matted them to the card base.  I die cut the shape using labels 16 nestabilities die and stamped the little floral accents in each of the four corners in black Archival ink.  I then die cut a Nestabilities circle in a charcoal grey Bazzill cardstock and embossed it using one of the new Sizzix embossing folder, called plaid.  It comes as a two part set with a snowflake embossing folder which I’m looking forward to playing with soon too.  Using the Prickley Pear birdcage die I cut out a cage in yellow and then stamped on the birdcage using my stamp press (see more info on that below).  I punched out a few mini flowers using my flower hole punch and coloured these with a copic to match the papers and ribbon, adding a small black pearl to finish. I die cut the bird and stamped it, colouring it in the same colour as the flowers with my copics.  I love that even the smallest of things can be enhanced by using copics.  I then tied a dressy bow to which I added a button tied with a twine bow.  To finish the card I stamped a ‘happy anniversary’ sentiment from the Hero Arts clear stamps ‘Everyday Sayings’ set and mounted it onto some yellow cardstock.

I thought it would be helpful to give a mini review of my new stamp press.  I first heard about this on Jennifer McGuire’s blog when she was using it for different things and I thought, well if Jennifer has one then I must ‘need’ one too!

The stamp press is basically a really clever way of making sure you get a clear impression each time that you stamp using clear or cling stamps, you don’t get half stamped images as you do when you stamp directly onto card.

It’s really very simple to use.  The press is comprised of a plastic rectangle grid with four foam pads, one in each corner, as seen below.

Step 1
Fiskar Press Step 1

Press the stamp press down directly over the stamp you wish to use so that it adheres to the block

Step 2

Either bring the stamp pad to the stamp to ink it up, or hold the press over the stamp pad to ink it up (whichever you prefer)

Fiskar Press Step 3
Step 3

When I first started making this card I used a grey ink which is what you can see here. Once you’ve inked up the image gently push the press down over the image and stamp in the same way you would with any other stamp block (i.e. acrylic or wooden etc)

IMG_2295

What I love about the press is that as you are pushing it down in preparation to stamp you can maneouvre it around slightly by wiggling it into position (sorry wiggling isn’t exactly the most technical word, but it works really well for explaining here what I mean!) By doing this you can make sure you stamp in exactly the right place, so if you are using an intricate stamp like mine above you can see immediately if it’s not lining up properly and can make the slight adjustment before the press hits the paper.  Once you have stamped the image just release your hands off the press and it will slowly release itself off the paper and leave you with a lovely crisp stamped image.

It’s really easy to clean, with water or a wet wipe and is a good size too.  You can use it on small or large stamps. I used it to stamp everything in this card, including the little bird and the tiny flourishes in each of the corners on the nestie.  The important thing with it is not to press directly onto the image when you are stamping but to place your fingers on the block either side of the image, this gives it enough pressure to stamp without rocking the image out of alignment.  If you haven’t got one and like the idea of stamping perfectly every time then I would highly recommend it.

While I’m raving about things I may as well mention the Prickley Pear dies here too..

IMG_2292

Prickley Pear have improved their dies by adding in little holes so that you can poke out any obstinate pieces with a pin to remove them.  I have been die cutting for many years now and have tried some really detailed dies but can honestly say that none of them have cut as well as this little set has.  The holes remove the frustration of trying to peel out an intricate image only to find you’ve broken it as you get the last piece out of the die!  They also cut out really crisply too, as you can see in this picture below..

IMG_2297

Most of the little pieces literally fall out when touched with a pin and any that may be left behind (which are very few) just pop out with a pin inserted through the little holes in the die. Fiskars have one happy customer in me!  I have spent many a time running dies through my machines with extra shims and trying dozens of different tricks only to be left feeling very frustrated.  This is obviously the colour tv version now!

Well if you made it to the end of my very long post then well done.  I hope you learnt something today, even if it was just that I can sometimes waffle!




4 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love the "waffle" Ruby, the die is gorgeous as is your card, love the o.our palette. Oh and your nail colour is very nice too LOL. Tracy x

Wendy said...

brilliant review of that cool piece of kit Ruby.........need to get it online lol........sorry folks, just call me on 01235 760821 if you need one in the meantime.
As for the dies.........they are very good products and you make them jump into life..........thank you.

Dragon said...

Woo I love that die... love the TH one but this is a very pleasing shape... not sure I understand the stamping thingie though!!!
FRankie
xx

Sarah Anderson said...

What a cute die!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails