Monday, 1 August 2011

Crinkly Ribbon Test

Hi everyone

I was over at Wendy’s the other day and saw some cream vintage ribbon and wondered if it would be possible to die it and make it crinkly, so Wendy gave me some to play with…

PP 010811

I scrunched the ribbon up in my hand, then simply stamped my distress ink pad onto my craft sheet and smooshed the ribbon into it, trying to keep it as random as possible so I would get a tie dye effect.  Finally, I scrunched it up into a ball and wrapped a couple of rubber bands around it so that it would stay crinkled and them dipped it one more time into the ink to get some darker areas.  I just LOVE the vibrant orange that the Ranger Distress Inks ‘Spiced Marmalade’ made and will definitely have to experiment with lots more gorgeous colours.

The inspiration to use orange for the ribbon was taken from the papers.  I like to start designing with a sketch, either one I’ve seen or one I have in mind, but sometimes that’s not enough for me.  I like to look through my patterned papers to see if something jumps out at me.  So for this one I used my papers as my starting point.  These ones are My Mind’s Eye Stella & Rose ‘Mabel’ 6 x 6 pad.  These pads are ideal for card-making, they are fabulous if you want to mix and match papers.  How do you get inspired to make cards, what’s your starting point?

I matted the card base with some orange floral paper and stamped the Hero Arts ‘Everyday Sayings’ sentiment using Versamark with white embossing powder.  I then created the focus panel using some teal Bazzill cardstock and a sheet of teal and orange patterned paper.  After tying around some ribbon I pop dotted the panel onto the orange card base.

I then die cut and stamped two Prickley Pear butterflies that I coloured with Copics, BG15, BG13 and BG11.  I used the BG15 a few times over itself so that I could intensify the colour and then added a smidge of C1 to darken it a bit more to complement my papers.  This is a great tip if you want to mute the colours slightly but don’t have quite the right colour.  I coloured some little pearls with a Copic Marker, YR07.  I always get excited when I can colour my own embellishments, yes I’m sad..I know!!  I added the blinged up butterflies to the panel and to finish added a Prima flower (I must get some more of these, they are great for embellishing centres of flowers and butterflies).

I combined the papers with a sketch, you can find more info about that on my blog if you’re into sketches.

Ciao!


4 comments:

Wendy said...

It worked!! Brilliant, thanks for sharing how you did it Ruby and I love the card too, really makes me feel summery.

Hels Sheridan said...

simply GORGEOUS! I love those colours together. I use the ribbon all the time... tis fab that it stays all crinkly... loving that ickle flower you made with it... perfect x

Carol Q said...

coo Ruby the orange and blue are absolutely stunning together. what a gorgeous card.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How fantastic, wonderful colors on this piece.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails